I recently tried to download an app that showed a sideshow of the wonders of the universe. I was surprised to see that I didn't have enough storage to finish downloading the app. When I synced my phone to the computer, I realized that the 1500 photos I had on the phone were hogging up all the available space, and began the arduous task of deleting the duds, and transferring the others to our computer for longtime storage.
This problem was actually a sweet little blessing as I sat for hours going through pictures of the last year. In between the picture moments were 1000s of loads of laundry and 1000s of petty squabbles, but altogether, there was a stream of beauty. We do have a good life! Sometimes I forget in the grumpiness and routine of the ordinary.
This weekend some girls from our Sunday School class took a marksmanship class to learn how to handle firearms. We did several exercises about learning how to use the sights on the revolvers and semi-automatics. Your brain can only focus on one thing at a time...rear-sight, front-sight, target, so you must decide where to focus.
I thought of how my limited brain is only able to focus on what grabs my attention now, in the immediate present. God, however, is able to see time in all directions. He sees the beauty alongside the pain and frustration, even if I am unable to remember.
If you are experiencing a gratitude problem, or the stressors of this stage of life are overwhelming you, perhaps a pictorial stroll down memory lane will help you restore perspective as well.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.