Saturday, March 2, 2013

Festival of the Thin Bread

Today's Lenten Bible reading began... The Festival of the Thin Bread, also known as the Passover, was near. (Luke 22:1)

This cracked me up for whatever reason. I have all sorts of rich imagery that comes to mind when I think of the Passover and God delivering His people from bondage in Egypt. But when you translate "unleavened bread" as thin bread, I start to smile. That sounds a lot like the cornbread festival I saw being advertised on a billboard recently.

In the town where my husband grew up they have a festival called the Okra Strut. It has always amused me that various towns have festivals celebrating all sort of things...mostly crops like peaches and "tasty tomatoes", but then there's also the Daisy festival which is a big craft fair in Atlanta, the Gullah Festivals in the lowcountry, and film festivals that appeal to movie stars, celebrating all sorts of things for various reasons.

At the festival of the thin bread...as long as there have been people, there has been a reason to celebrate.

There's always a reason for traditions to begin with, but thousands of years later as generations carry on, the great-great-great children wonder, "why are we doing this again?" But then the smell of the food vendors wafts up from the street and all questions are quieted.

Fried Okra

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.