Saturday, March 16, 2013

Little Girls, Little Girls, Night and Day...

Youth Impact Weekend is a perfect example of the body of Christ working together. Three great college leaders came to stay in our guest room, leading 13 sixth grade girls. Another adult drove them around town in a mini-bus. Youth ministers and interns gave talks. Musicians led worship. My friend made and brought over a delicious breakfast. I was the host Mom. I wiped up spilled milk, unclogged toilets, handed out towels to those who'd forgotten to pack one, and insisted that only five jump at a time on the trampoline.

There is a moment in such an event when you think, I used to have the stamina to be the leader of the group of young things. Now I am content to make snacks, sweep crumbs, and break up pillow fights after midnight. I have turned into a pumpkin. Sorry girls. No movies tonight. That's enough fun for one day.

It has warmed my heart to see our kids learning about their place in the world, their place on God's team. They are called to think about giving, and not just consuming. Perhaps in seven years a few of these girls will be leading the next generation of youth in an impact weekend.

I smile as two of the thirteen remember to say thank you, even if the other eleven are too giddy and caught up in the fun to notice. I remember to tell my husband thank you for taking our other four kids (plus three neighbors) to Skateland to give us all a little breathing room from each other.

I put my pajamas on and count the minutes until midnight when I can sleeeeeeeeeeeeep.

 

 

Eph.3.20 I pray that Christ Jesus and the church will forevermore bring praise to God. God's power at work in us can do far more than we ever dare to ask or imagine. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.