In your presence there is fullness of joy. Psalm 16:11
In the loud and messy of family life, I sometimes lose my joy. As I have looked to God to help me find moments, I can feel His joy in the smallest of things.... A little order....a little glimpse of beauty....a moment of glory in connecting with a friend, a child, or my man.
Sharpening color pencils
Hearing the sound of wind chimes outside my door or my daughter choosing to practice the piano without being prompted to
Seeing two bunnies dart across someone else's lawn
Having a morning to match coupons to buy one get one sales
Having a plan for dinner
Confirming a play date for a daughter
Walking and (hopefully) encouraging a friend
Having a fun snack waiting in the car to greet my hangry kids after-school
Listening to a story on CD as we drive three hours in circles around our city for practices and ball games
Seeing the humor as my children do carpool yoga in an attempt to combat (waiting around for a brother to finish his practice so we can head out to the next one's game) boredom when the spring air still feels like winter.
Warm water in the shower or a long bath
Admiring the beauty of the inside of an orchid
Choosing a good-for-me hot tea instead of a second serving of chocolate
Leaving a present on my daughter's bed or hidden in the bottom of the laundry basket as a way to gauge whether or not she's gotten around to putting the piles away (without nagging).
Minuscule things gone right add up to a happier, more joyful heart when I ask the Lord to open my eyes to see the moments of beauty around me in the midst of crazy schedules.
Ann Voskamp says that life is not an emergency. I like that. I need to purposefully savor each moment that flickers my way so that I don't miss my life in the middle of living it.
There is a line in Rise of the Guardians where Santa and the Easter Bunny are chastised for not actually spending time with children...since they are so busy doing things for children. This line was not wasted on me. In the middle of smelly sports laundry and perpetual carpool and trying to explain the difference in ideologies between the east and the west during the Cold War....I'm so often all out of steam. And then there's a pin hole leak in my joy balloon. Until I'm wrinkly and shriveled up and ready for the trash heap.
But Jesus is helping me renew. He breathes new perspective into my tired soul through the thoughtfulness of others.
Tonight's surprise, a bag of sweet-smelling kitchen soap and my favorite mango green tea from my sister-in-law and sweet friend.








No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.