Two years ago my friend and I were about to turn forty. To celebrate (or defy) this event, we decided to train for a half-marathon, and chose the most frou frou race we could find, the Disney Princess half in Orlando.
We trained, we ran, and on the twelfth mile I felt a sharp zing high up in my hamstring. Two years later it still zings me, so I decided finally that it is not going to heal itself and sought the counsel of a physical therapist.
I had no idea how much time is involved in recovering the flexibility that was lost. Every day I sit on my heating pad, do my prescribed exercises, take my anti inflammatories, and wait to see some kind of result. Getting better hurts and is time consuming.
It occurred to me that getting better spiritually takes a lot of work too. I have a family member that is heading back to seek help with a crippling addiction. I recently ran into a friend with an eating disorder and was shocked by her skeletal frame...after treatment. As I stretch, and work, and wait, I pray for those that are fighting much more serious battles than I am, and pray that they will be encouraged to keep going, hoping for full recovery.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.