Monday, December 31, 2012

Dec. 30 Blessed to be a blessing

In a decision to help our children learn to be givers, we gave each child a chance to pick a ministry gift through the gift catalogs of Compassion International and World Vision. We talked about what muddy river water looks like and what clean filtered water looks like. We talked about why some children need mosquito nets and worm treatments. We looked at pictures of broken down thatch houses in need of repair and compared the roof over our heads.

I'm now sure how much sunk in, but I do pray that our children grow to understand that we are blessed to be a blessing. (Genesis 12)

They each were drawn to something different. Our preteens chose mentoring teenagers in their spiritual growth and medical care for pregnant women. Our middle son chose medical care for children. Our youngest daughter chose clean water for a family, and our youngest son school for two orphan children.

I think this was my favorite part of Christmas, seeing them, even if only for a moment, stop to think about the blessings we have received and desiring to help someone else. Father, I pray that you would lead each of our children to love you with all of their hearts, souls, minds, and strengths. And may that love for you be evident in the world.

 

 

"To love another person is to see the face of God" Les Miserables

Grace received
Grace Given

 

1 comment:

  1. T, we also love letting our boys pick out "kingdom gifts" (to quote Ann Voscamp). We give our parents (kid's grandparents) and the Aunts/Uncles/cousins gifts from World Vision in their honor. The boys love picking out these gifts and I love the opportunity to explain to them how little others have, how much we have and how we can help! Happy Birthday A!Happy New Year Davis Crew!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.