Friday, April 26, 2013

Things I noticed today

Stopping to notice small things helps me to cultivate a heart of gratitude. As my eyes move from one small thing to the next, I become more and more aware of all the things in life I have to be thankful for. It's a matter of focus.

 

I am still a little woozy from the meds I need to take while healing from yesterday's gum surgery. As another quiet afternoon lay in front of me, I turned my camera to things I drive past every day, and stopped to take them in. Then my attention turns from maladies to praises.
The kids' artwork on our front garage wall. Needing to make another row to display some new projects.
The flowers that bloomed today...purple million bells and a yellow iris. The great fun in receiving others' hand-me-down bulbs is that you have no idea what you are getting. Then, when they bloom, it's a joyful thing. A spring surprise.
The same God who clothes the fields in flowers watches over me.
 
A barrage of texts from my praying girlfriends as one's mom is still in the hospital, one just had her father's funeral, my surgery, another's get-away trip...a mix of happy and sad. An email from a mentor friend who is flying home from a mission trip to help special needs kids in Lebanon.Thankful for the love and support of other women who love Jesus and love me. Thankful for the neighbor who just texted that she was bringing soup over to feed my family dinner. I didn't ask, but she just knew.
Someone in our Pilates class who got a card for another member who was in the hospital. Knowing that they would feel loved and missed. A reminder to send a card or do something nice for a Sunday School member who is on bed rest with a high risk pregnancy. Gratitude that someone else could host the Sunday School coffee while I rested at home. Happiness for a friend who has wanted to find a new home for so long and was able to this week. Knowing that I'll be able to catch up with her when her life settles down a bit.
My Mom agreeing to watch our kids for a weekend so that I can accompany Andy on a business trip/ get-away for us.
The garbage and recycling trucks that roar by so that I do not have to haul my own recycling to a center anymore, or burn my own trash in the backyard.
When is the last time I thought to thank God for sanitation services? One reflection back to the time I lived in Africa brings back another rush of gratitude.
What do you have to be thankful for today?
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.