Today I had gum surgery and my daughter went to the doctor to make sure her sore throat wasn't strep.
I was sluggish from anesthesia and napped. I ate soft foods like warm watery oatmeal and soup. I moved slowly and took medicines on schedule.
I folded the clothes in silence.
I sat on the back steps and watched the geese on the water. I noticed that another iris had bloomed. I admired the azaleas, small but colorful. I was surprised to see the mailbox full of blooms and took a picture so I wouldn't forget on cold winter days when the vine is shriveled and dry. I listened to wind chimes and birds and felt the warm sun on my skin. I noted that I feel closer to God when I am outside. I noted that quiet contentment is more pleasurable for me than rowdy joy.
I thanked God that Will can almost read all of the words to Where is the Green Sheep. I felt hope that he would be able to catch up in time. I felt reassured that we were making progress.
I sat with my kids through part of a movie. I thanked God for the help of my husband who drove the kids to and from school, and my mother who drove me, and our friend who drove Will back from baseball. I felt happy that my family could eat the spaghetti sauce my mom made for them even if I could not today.
I played catch-up on the Jesus Calling devotional and ruminated over one line "wait in holy trust" with Me. Today was a day of holy trust. A day when I trusted my surgeon to repair my aging mouth. A day when I accepted help from family and friends and trusted that I would be able to help others on other days. A day when tasks were done in an orderly manner but stripped of the rush and panicked pressure feeling I sometimes have to get it all done. Today it wasn't all done, but it was enough. I pray that as I heal physically, I will remember the pace of the sick day, and allow my soul to recuperate more often.
![]() |
| Bedtime Story |



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.