My soul needs quiet. I need to be still and know that He is God. Psalm 46:10.
I need to be quieted and stilled by being in His presence by being in His creation. I need to hear the rocks crunch under my feet, and listen to the water trickle down the hill. I need to touch the moss growing on stones and admire the birds soaring over the valley. I need to be awed by the view from the mountaintop after exerting myself to climb there.
I need to draw near to God by journaling, and reading, and listening. I especially like to do this at dawn. I process what He is saying to me, most often through words taken in when still and alone, not as often from a spoken sermon in a group. I prefer reading Scripture at a leisurely pace, stopping when something challenges me instead of when my assignment is completed.
I feel close to God when I am moving, dancing, or exercising, especially to motivating or inspiring music.
![]() |
| Moving in a beautiful place moves me |
![]() |
| Candle-lit yoga to Celtic music at dusk |
![]() |
| Note to self: not so much bubble bath when using a whirlpool tub!!! |
![]() |
| Using every bath gift given to me at Christmas! |
I enjoy sensory experiences such as candlelight and bubble bath, more than others may. All these "beauty" experiences help me to center. The fragrance of lavender or rose or eucalyptus. The flavor of blackberry tea. The warmth of a bath or fire, the softness of good sheets or a bathrobe all help me to feel enveloped in God's goodness and love.
I need to play and have adventures and just be me sometimes, and not a responsible parent or teacher or Sunday School director's and deacon's wife.
I understand that I am not entitled to having things go exactly as I prefer every day, but this awareness does help me reconnect with God. Whereas reading through a Bible checklist may be an excellent methodology or study tool for some, it is not the perfect spiritual discipline for me. I do read through the Bible systematically, but the structure is like eating broccoli. It's good for me, so I do it, but it doesn't do anything to move my soul. I need to incorporate other things into my time with Him. Just as every marriage is a little bit different, every walk with God shares it's own special secrets and experiences. Having a weekend away is a great way to rekindle both!
My sweet husband tolerates my "Taryn" experiences with good humor. We understand that what moves me may only cause a hamstring injury for him! I love getting up at dawn. He cherishes the vacation opportunity to sleep in and skip his regular 4:30am going-to-the-gym routine. He needs an occasional opportunity to watch a ball game on tv and eat Cheetos and coke zero without interruption. I'll try to remember that his kind of downtime should be protected just as much as mine.














No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.