A friend shared a link to Ann Voskamp's blog, and I pass it on.
We are struggling with the tuck-in rituals at night. Everyone wants a long tuck in. Everyone can now read to themselves, but it only seems to be at night that they want to share the deepest secrets of their soul. We are trying a "kid of the day" rotation, but that has its faults with some nights being better for others. Motherhood seems to be something that we are constantly tweaking, trying to get it right.
After stories and back rubs, hair braiding, foot rubs given out, my tendency is to say, "It's 9:00 o'clock. I am done mothering. Do not knock on my door or call my name unless the house is on fire or you are throwing up."
I wish that I were more likely to say, "Here, have another feather" instead of "That's all I'm going to give today. That's all I've got, or that's all I want to give today."
One choice at a time. One day at a time. One feather at a time.
Father, help me find the right balance, especially as we add two more that also seem to clamor for attention when I am all out of energy.
http://www.aholyexperience.com/?p=10144 The Habit of a Mother Who Changes the World

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.