Tuesday, May 1, 2012

an exercise in futility





My husband and I are organized people. We like the house to be clean. We like to be able to find things when we need them. We like the crumbs off the floor.

Our children could care less. Perhaps to their credit.

When B decided that he wanted to rebuild something massive that had been built, been disassembled, and then re-invented, we decided to help our son by spending HOURS sorting thousands of lego pieces by color and kit. He was able to put things back together and we were all pleased with the results. A day later, however, all of our sorting efforts were strewn on the carpet.

I'm curious if he will develop a love for order and organization when he is older (as a product of having to live in our family and in our house), or if he will simply find his own way of sorting through the piles of rubble.

As I surveyed the scattered pieces, I thought of the pictures I had seen created in chalk in the sands of India as a reminder of life's brevity. May I enjoy beauty and order while it lasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.