Here is picture of my quiet time "nest". On a little couch by the window, I sit enjoying morning coffee. I have my Bible and a little journal where I record verses that speak to me. I have a gratitude journal where I record one thing I'm thankful for, and a five-year journal that a friend gave me, where I record a few activities of each day (to chronicle how our family is growing and changing). I have a word journal where I like to write down flavorful words...for no reason other than I like them. I have a prayer journal where I occasionally record a prayer over our family members. I have a journal for pouring out thoughts and frustrations as needed, and another journal just for sermon notes and Sunday school lessons.
I wrap up in a soft blanket. I light a scented candle. I wrap myself up in God's presence...and then my blessings come downstairs and start fighting over the cereal.
Today I discovered one more useful piece of quiet time equipment. Noise-cancellation headphones. One son is blasting Lego warriors with an opposing Lego helicopter making all the appropriate battle noises. One daughter is blowing her hair dry. One is clunking about making breakfast in the kitchen. One is looking for his bathing suit in the laundry. One is whistling. All sorts of noisy life around me, and I sit and happily type in my silence bubble. In a few minutes it will be time to drive the campers to camp, and the budding pianist to her music lesson, but for these few minutes, I sit and enjoy the peace and quiet... And my blessings can clamor on as loudly as they like!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.