Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Moments

I've heard it said that we don't really remember days, we remember moments. I've been trying to observe and savor everyday moments as they come.

* watching a hummingbird flit and hover from my screened porch....opening the porch doors and hoping it figures out how to fly back out

* eating an oatmeal scotchie (that my daughter made) fresh from the oven

* watching the neighborhood boys play in the backyard

* watching our hamster explore every corner of our house in her plastic ball

* listening to my husband open up about his day

* having my older girls take my pilates class at Gold's

 

This morning I picked up my copy of Enjoying the Presence of God by Jan Johnson. She talked about how she used to rely on her awesome four-part prayer notebook to develop her relationship with God. I thought back to my prayer notebook days and wondered if I would return to them again in a different season of life. It's a great methodology to stay organized, but right now I need more than organization and discipline to nurture my love for Christ. Most of my prayers are "help" and "thanks" these days. One right after another.

Circa 2006

Stuffed into the back of my 2006 notebook was an article from Parent Life magazine adapted from an article in Vitajournal (Jan/Feb 2004). It challenged parents to try just ten minutes of something in order to nurture their souls while getting it all done for their families. I think I will try this today:

10 minutes of prayer

10 minutes of reading

10 minutes of laughter/fun

10 minutes of sharing/giving/investing in others

10 minutes of creating: writing, scrapbooking, playing an instrument, art, cooking, etc.

10 minutes of growing...flowers or vegetables, faith, fitness, or relationships

10 minutes of healthy food prep

10 minutes of trying something new/ learning something new

10 minutes of touch

10 minutes of quiet/ downtime/ rest

 

Here's how it turned out:

Prayer- enjoyed an especially sweet quiet time this morning, finding scriptures to share with family

Created- this blog entry, and added some scriptures to a collection I have on index cards to reflect on. We house this in the most spiritual of places...the bathroom.

 

Heathy Food- made double batches of Trim Healthy Mama pancakes so that A could have healthy breakfasts ready to go in the morning before work; made an Aldi run for produce, cottage cheese, and egg whites

Trying something new - made a healthier crustless quiche that only I liked for dinner; appreciated the help of my sous chef daughter who actually enjoys cutting up fruit as long as she can watch videos on her iPod at the same time

Fun- tried to take the kids to see the dollar showing of the Lego movie, but arrived in time to find that it was already sold out. We hit a Redbox rental on the way home and popped our own popcorn, and will try again (earlier) tomorrow. Apparently I still need to work on my angry resting face as both my husband and daughter asked me if something were wrong when I was thinking about what to do next.

Exercise- called in to sub a Pilates class that I wasn't planning on; took the kids to the pool after dinner and swam laps

Reading- Psalm 68, listened to Numbers 33 (audio app on YouVersion), Henry and Mudge Sparkle Days (reading lessons with Will), listened to part of Laura Ingells Wilder's Farmer Boy and wondered what on earth I have been doing all day since I don't shear sheep or card wool or train oxen to yield to a yoke

Touch- holding hands with kids and my man around our dinner table, hugs and kisses, splashing about in the pool

Growing - tried to understand things related to my husband's work and plans for the future

Investing in others- worked on decorating and facebook networking for an upcoming jewelry party in honor of friends who are adopting

Downtime/rest - kicking our young loved ones out of our room after 9pm to have time just for us

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.