Saturday, August 9, 2014

Daytona Beach- work hard, play hard

This is the face of responsibility- a picture of my man mowing the lawn before we go on vacation... At least the neighbors can enjoy the clean cut grass! I love that just for a few days, he can communicate by phone instead of going in to the office, from a lounge chair instead of a desk. I used to hate the constant access cell phones afforded. I called Andy's Blackberry of yesterday "the other woman" that kept him from being fully present on our family vacations. Now, I am just thankful to be able to take one together (and love being able to check movie times on my iPhone).

It is our family's tradition to work hard and play hard at the beach. We return to the same beach that Andy vacationed to as a child with his family. We reminiscene about becoming engaged here. Our hearts are filled with gratitude that we survived the swim diapers and drown-patrol days of being parents of toddlers. We stuff our faces with junk foods that we buy only this week of the year. The kids eat pop tarts and toaster strudels for breakfast. I pick up a chocolate croissant at Panera to enjoy with morning coffee. We snarf salty potato chips with sandwiches by the pool or by the sea. No one complains about the broken bits at the bottom of the bag. No one refuses the last sip of a water bottle. The beach makes us less choosy.

We stay up to all hours of the night finishing a good book, knowing that we can sleep in or take an afternoon nap the next day to recover. I may or may not wear make-up. Puzzle pieces are sprawled across the coffee table and laundry piles up.

We cruise the strip, and my mom tells us about days when that's about all the teenagers in her town did for entertainment - Ride around a one mile stretch seeing what everybody else was doing. We used to rent a golf cart; but, as our family size grew, we learned that we could drive our car here for a five dollar beach access pass with air condition, shade and a view! We drive up and down looking for bikes to rent and never find them, but the drive itself becomes a nice memory.

 

The kids watch gluttonous amounts of cable and Disney Channel because we don't pay for cable access at home. Andy channel surfs around and we always agree that we are not missing anything. The first five minutes we caught part of an episode of The Real Housewives of New York. The couple was in marriage counseling. The wife was crying and angry that her husband took work calls while they were on a date. I was with her for about 30 seconds. "It's about communication," she said. "You should say, 'Honey, I love you so much but I need to take this call. And since I know that this upsets you so, I will buy you a very expensive handbag to make it up to you!" I busted out laughing, and we turned it off. I don't foresee a Real Housewives of Columbia anytime in the near future.

I blog and blather about ridiculous stuff like potato chips and t.v. shows in between naps. The girls braid hair and paint nails. The boys blow stuff up in their video games. A checks his phone from time to time.

 

It's a lazy fest.

We also go crazy with working out. In and out of the pool. In and out of the ocean. Up and down the beach. Up and down the stairs. On and off the courts. In and out of the weight room. I am proud of my kids for learning to combine a bit of fitness with Disney Channel.

252 steps - a real stairmaster

I love that my man is able to unzip the Mr. Incredible suit for a few days and enjoy himself - lounging, soaking up the sun. As I sit near him under the umbrella or "Camp Davis" tent slathered in SPF 50, I pray that this week will carry him far into the work days ahead.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.