I just finished reading Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. The story is set in the 1940s, when Stalin deported Lithuanians, Latvians, Estonians, Finns, and whomever else he wished to populate Siberia and work in his corrective labor camps. I marveled at my own lack of knowledge of this brutal part of history. I am much more familiar with Hitler's crimes than Stalin's. It is a very moving story that makes me wish that I had gone to the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia when we were in Riga.
The Book Theif
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Diary of Anne Frank
When I read of people who survived true trials, it makes me a little embarrassed about the things my family complains about.
Just when I think it's only my kids who need an attitude adjustment, I experience my own thoughts of irritation. "It's taken me six minutes to load the six minute gluts and thighs workout. The wi-fi stinks in this room!"
Weird Al Yankovich has a youtube video about our culture and its habit of complaining. I think of Weird Al with long permed 80's style hair. Who knew he was still producing videos? I see myself and confess, "Guilty!" and switch to old school fitness magazine workouts instead. I am thankful that I have had so much to eat, that I need to exercise and not stand in line for bread rations. I am thankful that I live in an area of the world that is not being ravaged by bombs and tanks. I am thankful to be living with my family and not torn away from them. I take a breath and remember how truly truly blessed I am.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A
"Do all things without grumbling and complaining so that you may shine like a star in the universe as you hold forth the Word of life." Philippians 2:14

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.