One of the biggest struggles I have as a parent is helping our kids understand what true suffering is. They think the world is over if they have to go to Kid Care at the gym for an hour while I teach Pilates. Even though they have movies and wii there and can bring their own iPods or DS's to entertain themselves, they wail, "But there's no wi-fi!"
It was time for an intervention, so I gathered my coddled American babes around me and read them the story Brothers in Hope: The Story of the Lost Boys of Sudan. They listened attentively as we read the true story of boys orphaned while away tending cattle during Sudanese wars. The parents and sisters were killed in the bombings of villages, and the 3,800 boys had to band together to protect one another and survive. They came to faith in God at refugee camps, and eventually were adopted into many American families in 2000.
I want them to know the difference of what's worth crying about. Death by starvation or war, yes. Not getting the last cupcake, no. Having to drink your own urine just to stay hydrated, yes. Not being first, no.
After we read the story I asked the kids to tell me about the boys' character, and they were able to speak of courage, and faith, leadership, and sacrifice. Then we prayed that we would show the same kind of character in our family and that we would display the same of positive attitude no matter what happens in life. My heart was tendered as one prayed that the wars in Sudan would cease. When is the last time we prayed for world peace? Most days we're just trying to get some dinner on the table before flying out the door to a series of good things: baseball, piano, dance, school, church, etc. I pray that God would continue to give us ideas to direct our parenting towards eternal values, not just instant gratifications.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.