Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Quirky Things and School Supplies

If ever I get the opportunity for an afternoon nap, I always set the timer for one additional minute. Why? It makes me sad to see the hour (or ten minute power nap) change over to increments of 59 seconds as soon as I hit the start button! With my one minute buffer, I can actually lay my head on the pillow without feeling as if I've lost out on golden napping seconds.

We continue to fight for each and every sight word as my new-to-English boy takes on the task of learning to read in English. Mini m&m's sweeten the frustration (for us both).

Those that know how to read are earning their daily stash of mini m&m's by identifying states. I was surprised at how rusty we are in geography as a family, so summer is proving to be a good time to add that information.

Some friends of ours at church had our Sunday School class over to play on their ATV's and eat ice-cream. When my boy asked if we were going to buy him one for Christmas we laughed and gave him an emphatic "NO!". The funny thing is that I remember my parents buying my brother a dirt bike and hearing the engine roar at 6 am in our living room one Christmas morning, but our kid had the luck (or misfortune) of getting parents that are all about "You'll appreciate it more if you help earn it."

 

I just returned from the beautiful land of Target where brand new school supplies glisten on many aisles and end caps. We bought some beautiful things, but there was also weaping and gnashing of teeth as I did not consider locker carpet and chandeliers a necessary school supply item. I am fine with them spending their allowance on whatever they like, but I require them to pay the difference if they want designer Eco-friendly binders instead of a perfectly good regular ones. You want an upgrade? Certainly, but show me the money!

Two of my girls entered a conversation of ingratitude when they returned from the land of stuff-mart, comparing what one got compared to the other. As a consequence they are now constructing a 500 item gratitude list. I know that I can't cause them to actually feel gratitude in their hearts, but they will learn to be a little more wise about vocalizing ingratitude in front of me the next time. Perhaps one day when they are 40, they will understand why their mother went berserk in trying to correct their American preteen sense of entitlement.

One item on my gratitude list is great friends for a lifetime. These boys have enjoyed time together on sports teams, at church, on joint family vacations, and running around shooting each other with Nerf items. Summer is a great time to squeeze in a few sleepovers before the school year's activities kick in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.