Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mimi and Mom's Fabulous Adventure-Day One

I spent the night at my Mom's house Friday night in order to get to the airport before dawn. I arrived at Mom's house after our one year post-placement visit by our social worker for our adoption. Mom was in the middle of a closet purging and we played dress up. I am 42 years old and I still love hand-me-downs.

It was hard to sleep knowing that we needed to get up so early, but the long flight to Honolulu was gloriously uneventful. Mom packed us a picnic as the airlines now charge for sandwiches, even if you are on the plane for 9 hours. Gone are the days of free anything. My Mom used to be a flight attendant, so I always enjoy stories of how things have changed over the years. I was able to finish reading the second book of the Disney Kingdom Keeper series, knowing that MJ was back home starting the first one, B was on book 3, and L and book 4. I enjoy reading books along with my family in preparation for our family vacation this fall. It gives us a point of connection to discover things together.

Here is a picture of my favorite airline snacks...Biscoff cookies, cran-apple juice with ginger-ale, hot tea with cream and sugar, and tomato juice. I know that I can buy these items at the grocery store anytime, but I don't. That's what makes snacking on them during flights more festive...like the necessity of finding a Starbucks somewhere in the airport during a long layover.

Besides anticipating rest and adventure, the best part of being able to take a trip with my Mom is that there are plenty of times for random conversations, shared memories, and family stories. Since yesterday, I learned three things I did not know about my family. The time Mom flew to Europe with me as a toddler before luggage was designed with wheels. The times my frequent flyer grandfather would run out onto the Tarmac when he was about to miss his planes to Florida in the pre-security space race days. The one time my Mom remembers my Dad trying to cook for her...when she was pregnant with me. It took him two hours to make bacon and stewed tomatoes, but he did it with love. Made me wonder if my family would being going out to eat a lot this week, or feasting on eggs and pb&j's.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, A has taken the kids to a lake day and recruited family help to drive to meetings, baseball and soccer practices, carpools to and from three schools, and business dinners. Thanks, love. You are the best.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.