Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Little Delights

The air outside has been a little cooler lately. This seems like a pretty ordinary observation for a day in September, but for me it is also a way of quickening my soul to the little beauties all around me. When I take a moment to notice beauty around me, I am less stressed and stretched-out, and more prone to lift my eyes to the author of all good gifts.

This week's gifts include:

The sweetness of siblings to one another. In a feisty, fiery, "spicy" family where almost every afternoon involves breaking up some kind of squabble, it is sweet honey to my soul to see a sister create candy wrappers for her brother's birthday.

The sweetness of simplicity... No cakes needed. Just a box of doughnuts, some cans of whipped cream, and a jug of "fat milk"!

 

 

Hearing my growing-up boy say, "I love you, Mom" when I drop him off at school.

Tender Warriors
Tough on the outside
Sweet on the inside

More chocolaty sweetness: a gift from my parents-in-law who thought of me on their anniversary trip. I love the packaging...it looks like a little journal or book in French - two of my other favorite things.

 

Being close enough that our family can stop by on occasion and enter the crazy zone that is our life. All grandkids came out of the woodwork and wanted to show off their piano, violin, guitar, and gymnastic skills...at the same time and in very loud volumes!

Anticipating lunch with my friend who has gone back to work. When the window of opportunity narrows to spend time with friends, each lunch or workout date becomes a treasure.

Anticipating seeing the same friend's new house and resting in the fact that even though she brought me a home-cooked meal when we moved to our house, she is just as happy with us coming over with pizza in cardboard boxes and paper plates. Resting in the grace that is true friendship when I should probably feel bad about my inability in this season to reciprocate in kind.

Listening to the soundtrack to this year's Singing Christmas Tree and letting choreography ideas dance in my head.

Beginning a new season of getting to know college girls.

 

An opportunity to speak to girls in the 20's about what I have learned since I was 20... And being thankful that God has indeed taught me much. Being confident that He will share much more with me by the time that I am sixty. Remembering that I am primarily a worshipper who serves God, rather than a servant who worships. (Thanks, Linda Dillow!)

 

Snuggling up with my husband and watching a favorite show on Netflix. We are so tired that we prefer watching from a tablet in our covers than actually moving to a bigger screen and a couch. Even though we haven't been out on date since August 10, these little connections keep us going and growing in our marriage.

Being able to try new fitness ventures on a Living Social coupon. Pure Barre workouts are much more difficult than I had anticipated, and I loved (and hated while actually doing the workouts) the fresh challenge.

Being able to teach my son's fourth grade class a lesson on saying "yes" to God and running with abandon towards an adventurous life with Him, even when you feel as if you are afraid and unqualified like Moses did.

Thanks, God, for allowing us to venture with You.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.