Wednesday, July 4, 2012

ExPats on the Fourth of July


Riga seems to have a lot of concerts. Bryan Adams, Lady Gaga, and Sting are on their way here. The Sting posters remind me of his Englishman in New York song. "I'm an alien. I'm a legal alien. I'm an Englishman in New York." This fourth of July I'm a Southerner in Riga. I miss real sweet tea with lemon. What they serve at McDonald's comes from the fountain like coke.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqTUFSesBM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

We saw our first group of Americans that disembarked from a Royal Carribean cruise ship. They were headed to McDonald's too. We shared the afternoon with the Johnson family from Atlanta and had a double date with the kids at their own table.




We now see the word "ketchup" on the menu. Add $3 to your bill to satisfy the family.
We also figured out how to lock our double door now that we are about to leave. Turn the key four times to the right.



We practiced reading, singing, (and understanding) the Star Spangled Banner and made a banner out of patriotic paper napkins and tissue paper. A cheeseburger and some tissue paper are not a fireworks show, but we'll make up for it next year. I'm hoping the family back home would like to have another barbecue and fried chicken day soon. Fourth of July re-enactment anyone? Can we have do-overs on national holidays?

Our only picture together this trip.

The Johnsons were kind to share their frisbee, bubbles, and soccer ball with us. We have saved bottle caps and twisty ties from loaves of bread to play with at the apartment, so this was a step up. The kids flew through the craft things I had bought and none of us were up for another game of UNO, or phonics lesson, so we really enjoyed the company of another family.

Another day brought more melt-downs, more hurt feelings, more pouting, more kisses, more LOUD, more energy, more hugs, more real family life.

Natalia spent the afternoon playing with her new Latvian BFF. I enjoyed hearing them share with one another their new American names.

 

 

Andy and the girls brought me some flowers from the flower market.

Keeping the dream alive

Thanks for watering our travel-weary souls with your emails and prayers.

Don't think we could squeeze seven of us in this Latvian Flower Power car. We'd look like a bunch of clowns pouring out.

Natalia's favorite ice cream. I still prefer the mango yogurt. It must be loaded with sugar because it is delicious.

It's been a fairly quiet day. I'm having to dig deep to find something to write about. We are ready to return to the land of the free and the home of the brave. Tomorrow we return to court in Tukums and then we will fly back home on Saturday.

Happy Fourth everyone. We'll see you soon.

Chris, do you remember this scene from L.A. Story?

Bored Beyond Belief

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ8cA8t26Yg&feature=youtube_gdata_player



Trying to remember to be thankful and not bored. All the adults on this trip are so conditioned with too much to do at home, that when we literally have nothing to do, and are stuck in waiting mode, we forget how to enjoy ourselves. We're working on keeping that joyful perspective. We are thankful that the hot water returned today.

 

I'm an alien... 1 Peter 1:11-12 I'm ready to go home and see my friends and family.

11Dear friends, I warn you as “temporary residents and foreigners” to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls. 12Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God.


 

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I have not seen "LA Story." I'm not well-versed on movies that don't have aliens, covert operations, or "Chazz Michael Michaels" in them. Maybe I should look it up on Netflix?

    Happy 4th of July! I know it's strange being away from home during this time of the year. Safe travels back in Cola! We look forward to seeing you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one of those 'in this home' signs! It fits our home life, as well. what's the first thing you want to do when you get home? Sleep? Lock yourself in your bathroom? Eat a big salad?

    Love you!
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are always up for a holiday do over!!!!! Praying that your travels over the next few days go smoothly and that time flies. Can't wait to see you and your children walking the halls of Shandon! Also praying for the days and weeks ahead...as you learn how to be a new family of 7! Love to all of you!! Christy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.