Sunday, July 15, 2012

serve the Lord with...brokenness

 

Our "quiver" is full
 

 

 

One of my favorite "pretty" things is Mustard Seed Pottery. Last week I owned three pieces. This week I have one. Accidents. Not intentional. Just learning things like...don't climb on the counter with a bunch of pool noodles strapped to your back. Sigh. Where is that super glue?

I pray that my treasures will be in heaven, and I that I will not over-react in this "breaking in" process.

Yesterday we took the kids jet-skiing. Neither Andy or I thought about the fact that we now have a child that wears glasses. Natalia's glasses sunk to the bottom of Lake Murray on a big wave, and family spent the remainder of the day trying to get her another eye exam and a new pair of glasses made as she really really needs them. Learning curve.

This may have been a blessing in disguise as she had been having headaches each day and we were wondering if her glasses prescription was strong enough. This new pair seems to be better.

Sometimes I am frustrated with thoughts of "Why didn't we think about that?". Why didn't we think to give a safety talk about the treadmill safety clip? We had already given this talk to the three biological kids, but didn't think to tell Natalia before she decided to try it out barefoot and skinned the skin off both knees. We are well-supplied with Neosporin and large bandaids, but I pray that God would make us wise and help us think of things that our newest kids simply may not know or think about. How do you "baby-proof" for 10-and six-year-olds?

I would like to be shining the joy of the Lord and be the poster family of why everyone should think about adopting. Instead I find myself threatening my husband that I WILL be taking 1 1/2 hours of Target time to wander the aisles like a zombie, not necessarily buying anything. I didn't think I was looking stressed, but my neighbor offered me her anti-anxiety meds after one hour at the pool with us! I declined, but thought it was funny...or sad...or sadly funny.

I know that Joy comes in the morning, and I am seriously happy that God has blessed us with these two great kids to love. At the same time, I am reeling with the reality of loving each one of us in all of our brokenness and various needs. I am thankful for each sweet moment, and saddened by each angry, irritated one.

God promises that He is near to the broken-hearted, and I feel His presence among us...when someone is pouting, or frozen in defiance, or under the covers in a lock-down stance, or crying, or calling out how unfair something is, or yelling for someone else to go away... He is near. And I know these hard days won't be here forever. We are light years ahead of where we were last year during our first hosting. I do see progress. I am encouraged.

Keep praying with us as we learn to be a family of grace. A family that says "I'm sorry"..."Please forgive me". A family that is full of gratitude for all that God is, and all that He gives. A family that learns patience endurance. May we be mature and complete when it's all said and done.

Popsicle boy
 


monkey business
 

 
Instant gratification lesson: We explained to Will that if he spent his allowance on the Sandhills train ride, that would be two weeks of kindergarten allowance spent. He was all "yes! yes!" to the idea. We'll see how that goes over next week when he has already spent his money two weeks at a time.
 
 
 
 
It's all fun and games until someone's $250 eyeglasses go flying into the lake. Oops!
 

 

 

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.