Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 2 The lifter of my head



So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart.

Philippians 1:7








God uses people to encourage those who are overwhelmed and struggling. He has used you in my life to lift up my arms for the task, and to lift my gaze off of fatigue to "look full in His wonderful face".

We Latvian travelers are up at 4am, but the kids know not to come downstairs until 7am so that I can spend the quiet time with Jesus that I crave.

This morning I ran across (on the floor of my closet) some sermon notes from my pastor (Dr. Dick Lincoln, Shandon Baptist Church).

He said that there will always be "a clash of needs" within our families. Different personalities need and desire different things at different times. He also said "It is a great day in your life when you realize that you do not have a right to be happy all the time". I'd like to figure out how to gently teach this concept to my kids.

"Yes, I'm thrilled that you love complicated Lego sets. No, I'm not going to buy you a $400 death star for your birthday in September. Start saving your allowance."

"Yes, I love that you love your friend that will be moving to Atlanta. No, I am not making plans to drive you there next week."

"Yes, I think you are wonderful. No, I do not think it is becoming to go around singing "I'm totally awesome" even if you did just get prompted from kindergarten."

A clash of needs and desires. I can't give our kids everything they desire (nor do I want to), but I pray that God will help me discern when to push through fatigue and when to be extravagantly generous, and when to say, "that is unreasonable, stop being ridiculous".

Lord, You promised to send down wisdom generously to those who ask, so just for the record, I'm asking!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.