Next Friday we will travel back to the orphan court for more paperwork, apply for a visa, and prepare to come home in two weeks. But, all the other days we are hanging out waiting. We have already walked circles around the city and are wondering how to use our days. We are missing Brennan and Mary Jayne and are thankful that Mom is taking such good care of them. We are missing the routine of church on Sundays, and being able to go to the gym or watch a show in a language that we understand. After about one week, we are usually ready to pack it up and head home to our own beds, but God has something for us here, so we will try not to wish it away. Here's what we do when we are not walking around the city....waiting for it to quit raining.
Andy promised the kids that we would go to McDonald's for breakfast, but we learned from the Internet that they don't serve breakfast here (just muffins). Last night we walked all over the city to find a place called Lulu's pizza that we had read about in a guidebook. We found it, but guess what? It was closed for the holiday. There was no sign on the door, but Latvians would have understood why. Lucky for us, there was another pizza restaurant on the next corner.A walk in the rain
McDonald's for lunch....about the same menu, but they charge 30 cents for each ketchup packet.
We spent the afternoon figuring out why our blogging program didn't work anymore. We struggled because the google homepage comes up in Latvian and I had to translate every line of the credit card interaction. Several hours later...we're back on. Makes me greatly appreciate Google translate.
Natalia told me that she knew how to make "soap". I was very surprised until I realized that she meant "soup" and was ready for dinner (smile). She and Laurel both like to help cook. Instant soup is about all we're fixing around here, but I'll try to teach them more when we get home.










Hey sweetie pies. We were at the Yang's for the weekend, so Laura and Brian covered our prayer duties in Sunday School. We are back home now and getting ready for Pete's memorial service. I am wearing your bracelet, Taryn, so I know you will be there with me in spirit, as we are with you in Latvia! I know that time D-R-A-G-S with nothing scheduled. Have you gone to 'the seaside' yet? It's supposed to be 15 minutes away and is beautiful, according to our expert. :-)
ReplyDeleteActually, Collin Morris did the prayer time...when it was time for prayer, Todd told Collin to come lead...so, I just instructed everyone to make sure they wrote their prayers on the clipboard so we would have a record of them to send out in email. Ray did a GREAT job teaching, and even got a little choked up when he challenged us to step up and BE the next generation (like Caleb's nephew/son-in law, Othniel did after Caleb, in Judges 3:7-11; like WE should, after Pete). Very moving. Very motivating.
ReplyDeleteJust got back from Pete's celebration of life service. It was beautiful, and so sweet. Got to see lots of people we hadn't seen in a while. Hope Radebaugh sang, "When you can't trace His hand, trust His heart". She sounded just as wonderful as she always did when she and Barclay were here. We missed y'all; but you were thought of and prayed for. (Amy, Gennie and I were wearing our bracelets, too.)
No driers? I'd be wearing lots of dirty clothes! 30 cents for ketchup? Sorry boys...they don't have ketchup in Eastern European countries:-).
I'll be praying for some inspiration on things to do to. Especially for Will...Lego's anywhere?
The boys and I are heading to the beach tomorrow. I'll comment on my phone as much as I can...no internet for my computer (gee...it'll be like being in...Latvia!)
Love, love, love you! Laura
Great pics!!!! We look forward to seeing you guys back in Cola. It's gotten very hot and humid since you left. Alas, the mild Spring is just a memory I'm afraid.
ReplyDeleteTell Andy I said hi.