Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 12 Through Her Eyes

Do you vaguely remember the story of the Bremem Town Musicians?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6eFV_srZYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Amber and woolen items for sale in the markets
A little laundry downtown
Scenes like this help me visualize how people lived in the wall of the city. They were thick. Can't you imagine Rahab letting a spy out of her window by a scarlet cord, in another time and place?

Swedish Gate, last part of the city wall, 1698

The Bahm family has been spotted in Riga!

Quiet time spot... Not too shabby.

Today's "entertain me" game....race your sibling to the rock and back. 23 seconds...not bad! Can you make it in 22? (We have no shame in trying to burn off some energy before heading back to our apartment!)

I have loved being able to stroll each day. We had to dodge the rain coming home, but it was worth it to enjoy these parks each day that we can.

Daddy and Me America Ninja Warrior Training (how many years until he can compete?)

Mommy and Me Modern Dance Class (homeschool style)

 

Today we witnessed the changing of the guard at the Freedom Monument (3:00pm)

Spent a few lats discovering that none of us are sure shots

Got my first case of bow burn, or whatever it's called when you hold your forearm in the wrong place.

Looking at paintings of the city...wondering if it will still be there if I decide to go back later.

This morning I loved going to a Pilates on the ball class at Reaktors gym. It is a 20 minute walk across town, but I was so happy to be able to take someone elses's class and learn some new tricks. It also gave me some great perspective on how I should use more nonverbal cues for those occasional intentional guests who have no idea what I am saying. It was encouraging to know that we do about the same things halfway across the world in our fitness classes.
Happy discovery of the day...Rimi, a real supermarket next to the gym. I made the mistake of picking up the wrong kind of basket. It had wheels that you could drag along the floor, but I didn't figure that out until I was in line. You need a coin here for a shopping cart (like Aldi). I asked a woman which one of the dairy products I was staring at was cream for coffee. She pointed to these and I felt stupid, but I wasn't looking for juice box sized containers.

Yesterday's trip to the corner store was just as comic with me doing pantomime to find fingernail polish remover. The container had four different languages but no English. I thought I saw something that might be acetone in the ingredients, but just wanted to make sure! Megan, we have patriotic toes now, at your things-to-do suggestion. Keep the good ideas coming. :-)

 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah for cute clothes!!!! Taryn, I am so impressed with you searching out things to do in a foreign land. I would have been scared to death to go to a Pilates class where I didn't know the language and it was obvious I wasn't from around these parts. I thought of another thing to do but not sure if it is doable in your apartment. Have the kids build forts. Brantley loves doing this with blankets, towels, couch cushions and chairs. Also have them all draw and color pictures then cut them out into different puzzle piece shapes and give to their sibling to put together. I hope you are enjoying these days as I know your heart is anxious to get home to make your family of seven complete. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pics are great! There's such a sense of history and culture over there that comes across so well. Tell Andy to pick up a few European "Carry Alls" while he's over there. I think the fellas need to mix it up here in SC. I know mine is in pretty rough shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taryn, I've been catching up with y'all via your blog and am so excited for you guys! We will be praying for the rest of your time in Latvia and your return trip/transition time back in the States. Yay for becoming a family of 7!!
    Love, Emily (and Brad) :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.