Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Sick Days
The virus in question turned out to be strep...not just for Laurel, but also for Brennan...and possibly for me. I'm still waiting to see if my fatigue is viral, or a by-product of being the resident nurse the past few days. I have forgotten what it is like to have someone crawl into your bed and throw up on your covers. I have forgotten what it is like to sleep on the couch next to another sick child the next day. We have been blessed. It has been a while since a full-blown Davis Family Funk.
Today I am thankful for fresh laundry...and my latest discovery, Tide HE Febreze Sport Active Fresh scent. Mmmm. I love clean, sanitized sheets. I most likely would have forgotten to be thankful for them without said incident.
I am thankful for the kindness of God when great aunt Carolyn just happened to be shopping for produce when we drug ourselves into Kroger for an armload of popsicles. "Can you stay here, just a minute, while I run like mad through the store?"
I am even thankful for t.v. which usually annoys me. Episode after episode of Little House on the Prairie and Looney Tunes stood vigil while I did the housework. "I can watch t.v. ALL DAY if I want to?" asked Brennan incredulously? "Yes. It's a sick day." (Thankfully, he slept through most of it and then went on the Star Wars Wii the next.) I so need my quiet!
I enjoyed reading fairy tales to my girls from my ancient (circa 1971) copy. The book is beautifully bound with blue tie-dye duct tape, but has been a kept treasure as I still remember climbing into my Grandmother's bed and having her read to me when I was young. I was surprised as I read aloud, at how few things were edited out in the 1970's. My five year old looked at me with big round eyes during a tale of the Red Shoes by The Brothers Grimm. He really cut her feet off and then she hobbled back to town on crutches and wooden feet? That would HURT!!!" Didn't remember that part before I started in on the story. Pre- Political Correctness Era.
I think my children are feeling better. I hear fighting again upstairs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.