We have made contact.
My husband nonchalantly mentioned on the drive home from the lake last night that he had emailed a recommended adoption agency for information on what to do next. I am thrilled. Thrilled (almost) beyond words. :-)
We have had some well-meaning friends and family think we are nuts to proceed without ever meeting these two beautiful children. I understand their concerns. I am also so very grateful that God is allowing us the faith to move forward without knowing all the information. As I tried to explain yesterday, when you have a biological child, you don't get a test-drive experience. They come as they are, and you work with what you've been given. Our own three "bio children" are both wonderful and fantastically frustrating at times. They didn't get to choose us either. They have us, warts and all. And I believe that just as God decided which personalities would make up the Davis family in the womb, He is also knitting these two in our hearts, before they have ever done anything to merit such incredibly strong love. Adoption is becoming to me a picture of how much God treasures us, completely aside from any worthiness on our part.
In Kelly Minter's study of Ruth, she mentions the contrast between Ruth and Boaz and their counterparts, Orpah and the unnamed potential kinsman-redeemer relative. The latter didn't do anything wrong in choosing to walk away from the adventure offered them. They acted safely, perhaps wisely, in consideration of themselves and the family members that they were already responsible for. Then, they were never heard from again. Andy and I desperately want to be apart of God's story, even if it means risk, and personal cost. May we learn to walk like Jesus (and act more like Him on a daily basis. Sibling rivalry, anyone?)
![]() |
| A Jesse Tree Ornament, symbolizing how Boaz and Ruth's obedience led to the family of Christ |
We have also been amazed-slash-amused at our growing adoption awareness. You've noticed how once you buy a silver Toyota Sienna minivan, you are blown away by how many other silver Toyota Sienna minivans there are in the parking lot, not to mention the Honda Odysseys and many other makes and models. We feel as if we are on the very tip of the adoption iceberg, and feel very connected in this experience to others on similar journeys. I keep meeting people who were adopted, or have adopted, or are considering adoption, and I feel strengthened by their collective experiences. I can relate this a little to my first pregnancy. All of the sudden everyone wanted to tell me their baby stories, or pat me on the belly (complete strangers in the elevator even!). A common uniting experience. As God leads us on this journey, may we be ambassadors for Him and His heart for others.
Keep your eyes open for God. Watch for His works. Be alert for signs of His presence.
Psalm 105:4 NIV
Seek His face always
Psalm 105:4 Message



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.