Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Lessons from Bamboo






I received this email today in honor of Mother's Day. It is from Sharon Jayne's devotional. It gave me chills to think of all that is truly happening when it seems like nothing is happening!



Lessons from the Bamboo Farmer
Sharon Jaynes
(In honor of Mother’s Day, Sharon’s devotion will focus on motherhood.)
Today’s Truth
Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary (Galatians 6:9 NASB).
Friend to Friend
For years I told people that I was in labor for 23 hours. However, the truth is more like 21 years. Being a mother has been the most fulfilling, frustrating, exciting, exhausting, mind-boggling, hair-raising thrilling tiring, stimulating, soul-stirring, delightful, difficult, consuming, laborious, uplifting, inspiring, challenging, captivating, and rewarding job I’ve ever had. Did I mention difficult? I should have gotten a clue when I was told that having a child begins with a word called “labor.”
I’ve had times when I felt like throwing up my hands in frustrations and saying, “I quit!” Is what I’m doing making any difference to anyone? I want results! Show me results!  Then I think about the bamboo tree.
When the Chinese plant bamboo, first they plant the seeds, then water, and fertilize them. The first year, nothing happens. The second year they continue to water and fertilize the seeds, and still nothing happens. The farmer continues this process for a third and fourth year with no visual results. Then sometime during the fifth year, in a period of approximately six weeks, the Chinese bamboo grows ninety feet.
The question is, did it grow ninety feet in six weeks or did it grow ninety feet in five years? The obvious answer is that it grew ninety feet in five years. If the grower hadn’t applied water and fertilizer every year, there would be no bamboo.
It is the same way with raising children. We pour into their lives. We plant seeds of character, pull weeds with discipline, water with prayer, and fertilize with encouraging words. Then one day, if we are persistent and consistent, we will see beautiful results. 
If you are in the midst of raising your children, or even a parent of grown children waiting to see the results, I want to encourage you to press on.  Don’t give up!  Keep praying!  Keep encouraging!  Keep loving! And one day, when you least expect it, your child will “rise up and call you blessed.”
Let’s Pray
Dear Lord, sometimes I get really tired and frustrated as a mom. When I grow discouraged, will You help me to keep the goal before me … to raise a child who is a man or woman after God’s own heart? Help me to remember that You, as my Heavenly Parent, never give up on me. Even when You don’t see the results that You desire, You continue to love, nurture and teach me. Thank You for being my example of persistent and consistent love.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

We first began considering the question of adoption when Mary Jayne was born. She was biological kid number three, and I felt "done" biologically speaking. This didn't make a lot of sense to some, including my OB who called me a "perfect baby candidate" because we had been blessed to deliver three healthy babies without any complications. However, I didn't feel that our family was finished.

Five years of discussions, tears, informational seminars, waiting and wondering if I was crazy to feel the way I do...including a period of hopelessness where I assumed my dream was dead,  and now, almost out of nowhere, we are going to be the hosting family for Natalija and Vilnis on June 30. I stand back in wonder, wondering that the five years of waiting and considering, were not actually dead times at all. God is good, and His timing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.