Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Making friends with cauliflower

So here's where I am at the end of the first month of clean-er eating and cooking for my family. I have traveled the following emotional journey:

Stage one: I can't stand YOU. Don't even talk to me about this. Pull the covers over my head and shut down in stormy silence. Emotional triggers from anorexic days and general unhappiness.

Stage two: I can't stand THIS. This is ridiculous. No, we do not need to invest in a professional grade blender yet. But, I love YOU and recognize that some changes need to be made. I will try.

Stage three: Where do you find arrowroot powder anyway? First forays into terra incognita.

Stage four: Flegling experimentation in the kitchen. I feel like I am camping in tents with the exilic Israelites each night I turn out a new dinner concoction. Manna from heaven meets the response, "What is this?"

 

Stage five: Find myself browsing pin boards for new recipes and ideas in my spare moments, and making lists of what I'd like to try in the kitchen on the weekends. Learn to "rice" cauliflower, and experiment with desserts made of egg whites, xylitol, and almond flour. We like "thin mints" that are actually thin. Happy to know that my man is finding success with the new program, and some relief from some health concerns.

I wonder if stage six will be my kids' compliance? My daughter asked if she could give up exercise for Lent, so we're not quite there yet, but we have made a few steps in a healthier direction, and for that, I am thankful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.