Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Irish Eyes are Smiling

My husband has planned a fifteenth anniversary trip to Ireland. I have long been drawn to the magical mystical Emerald Isle, and we are going to visit next month (with only one teeny stopover for business). In preparation for this trip, I have been checking out children's books on the history and culture of Ireland to try and get a quick overview, if not up to speed, on all things Irish.

 

Today, Mom and I went to see Celtic Woman to celebrate her birthday (and as a tiny thank you for her beautiful willingness to stay with the grandkids while we are away). We listened to an amazing dancing fiddler. We heard transcendent songs of beauty accompanied by the harp and drums. We tapped our toes and did a little jig in our seats, wishing we knew how to Riverdance. We felt the call of ancient mother lands. (She is a McFarland, and my husband comes from the Fitzpatricks. My cousin played the "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes at our wedding. You get the picture.)

I couldn't resist Target bin leprechaun mustaches for the boys for St. Patrick's day, and been so impressed with the life of a person that was about self-sacrifice to bring the gospel to the people that had enslaved him (and not about green beer).

 

I see the Cliffs of Moher in the scene when Harry Potter and Dumbledore search for the horcruxes.

I feel solidarity with the feisty rough-and-tumble who are not afraid to engage when necessary.

And we haven't even set foot on the island yet.

 

My favorite hymn reaches back to the 8th century...and was translated from Irish.








"Be Thou My Vision"


Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart

Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art

Thou my best thought by day or by night

Waking or sleeping Thy presence my light


Be thou my wisdom and Thou my true word

I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord

Thou my great Father, I, Thy true son

Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one


Riches I heed not nor man's empty praise

Thou mine inheritance now and always

Thou and thou only first in my heart

High King of heaven my treasure Thou are


High King of heaven my victory won

May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Sun

Heart of my own heart whatever befall

Still be my vision O Ruler of all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.