Friday, May 3, 2013

Weeds

This morning I pulled a million-bajillion weeds from our front beds. Every time I weed I marvel at how these plants make their way into my flowers with no help from me. They just appear. I carefully plant bulbs in hopes of having beautiful flowers, but weeds just come on their own. They pop-up out of nowhere, and they must be removed before they ruin my garden.

I am similarly surprised when "weeds" pop up in our family life. One day we are beaming over children who receive awards for completing Bible courses.

And the next moment we are embarrassed at displays of showboating (from not one, but two kids in separate ceremonies!)

We gush with praise when excellent interim reports and medals for acing Latin exams come home. Then moments later, we are called by the principal's office to learn that one kid threatened another kid when provoked. Yikes!

Family harmony one minute. Bowls of oatmeal flying at another's head the next. Time for some weed-removal.

As such, we have decided to reel in the electronics and friend-time until the Davises can get along with one another a little more consistently. There were many wails of complaint, but we are resolute. May is dedicated to pulling the weeds of selfishness and mean-spiritedness out of our hearts.

Last night we ALL attended one son's ball game...in the rain (wondering why those crazy coaches never call anything off) to show support on a late school-night when we normally would have been tempted to send one parent as a family representative.

Children who fight with one another get to serve one another by making each other's beds and doing each other's chores...with thank you notes left on pillows to show gratitude.

I have no idea if any of this will make a lasting impression, but I pray desperately that they will not only survive our family years together, but bond into a vessel that Jesus can use for His glory.

Words of wisdom appreciated if you have any stellar ideas on how to promote sibling harmony.

Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do no grow weary, (Galatians 6:9, NIV).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.