Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mother's Day

It just so happens that my husband will be away on business this Mother's Day. He was kind to get the kids to sign a card and send me a pajama gram in advance. Since I picked the pajamas out myself, I have great self-control on not opening the UPS package and let it sit on the dining room table until Sunday morning. Can't say the same for the card that I already read and licked back together. (I often read the end of novels first too.)

Although Will has mentioned every day that he wants to "make" me frozen pancakes for breakfast, I think the day may be without much ceremony. So, the kids and I are celebrating by having one-on-one time with mom all week. You normal moms probably do this all the time, but I can't consistently have one-on-one times with each kid every week. I'm usually all out of steam just keeping the ball rolling. So, the week before Mother's Day seemed like as good a time as any to be a little more intentional with the kids.

Different kids like to do different things. Some like to snuggle in our comfy bed and read stories at bedtime. Some like to answer conversation starter questions and have me record their answers in a journal. Some like to swap spa treatments like hair-brushing and styling. Some like the opportunity for me to listen to their negotiation skills as they persist in explaining why I should buy them a certain toy before their birthday that is five months away.

I wished I listened more carefully more often. But, at least here and there, they know that they have my complete attention.

The week's family bonding included:

A forced fun family walk/ bike ride

Three baseball games

Ballet practice and piano practice

A field trip to the strawberry patch

Apples to Apples board game

Visiting my mom and Andy's parents

Walking with Aunt Nee Nee for the cure for breast cancer

Eating dinner at Aunt Michelle's house

When I asked my daughter why she always made crazy faces in pictures she said (without missing a beat) "because I'm me!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.