When I was in the fourth grade district chorus, we sang a song from the Charlie Brown musical:
Happiness is ...walking hand in hand.
Happiness is two kinds of ice cream.
Knowing a secret.
Climbing a tree.
Happiness is five different crayons.
Catching a firefly.
Setting him free.
Happiness is being alone every now and then.
And happiness is coming home again.
Happiness is morning and evening,
Daytime and night time too.
For happiness is anyone and anything at all
That’s loved by you.
This list of small things had no small effect on me. I love being thankful. Small happinesses go a long way.
On a week where we had $1200 worth of repairs on the van, and $500 worth of prescription sunglasses, and not enough sleep to go around, I found JOY in many small ways that The Lord provides for us each and every day.
Today, I had an Egg White Delight McMuffin from McDonald's from a coupon in my health magazine...fast food so tasty at 250 calories, I didn't miss the yolk at all. Delightful.
This week I redeemed our purple Chick-Fil-A calendar cards for free chicken biscuits. It's always a good day at Chick-fil-A.
We redeemed our credit card points for Walmart gift cards and bought this year's batch of swim goggles and red geraniums. There is just something happy about getting some red geraniums for free... Pretty European window-boxes are good for my soul. Beauty happiness.
Or, when Publix puts their after-school and lunchbox snacks on BOGO. Frugal happiness. We were thankful for not one, not two, but THREE families who shared their hand-me-down treasures with us. Fashion show. It's all new to us.
Sometimes happiness is the realization that we are free of pain and our parents are in good health and live nearby. So many of our friends are having parents with serious health issues. We are thankful for each time we can get together with our families. We are thankful for the network of friends that help in any way they can when help is needed.
Happiness is seeing a poof of red clay dirt fly in the air when my son catches a baseball, or prevents the other team from making a run at home plate, or seeing a younger son learning to hit and run like the wind to first base. Happiness is being in the midst of some very excited loud moms who yell and cheer a lot more for my kids than I do. (We introverted types make lousy cheerleaders.)
Happiness is having members of my Pilates and Zumba classes tell me excitedly that they are experiencing relief from hip or back pain from the exercises we do together in class, or that a certain dress is finally fitting again with weight-loss success. Happiness is being asked to lead Zumba at my kids' school carnival even if it embarrasses one to have Mom jumping around to Latin rhythms.
Sometimes it was the kindness or thoughtfulness of others that brought me joy, like having my husband pounce on me to wake me up when I forgot (apparently) to set my alarm. I felt loved when he brought chocolate truffles back for me and chocolate pops for the kids (though I am just as content with a package of peanut m&m's).
Sometimes happiness is looking forward to special time with my man. It doesn't have to be that often, but if it is on the calendar that "someday soon" we will have some "us time", my chin stays up.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.