Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Love until the end

 

John.13.1

It was before Passover, and Jesus knew that the time had come for Him to leave this world and to return to the Father.

He had always loved His followers in this world, and He loved them until the very end.

It's only 7:15am, and I don't think I am going to make loving until 8:30 tonight, much less until the very end. My boys have already lost their dollar for the day for incessant teasing and rough-housing. Two times one of my kids has stormed up the steps in anger and frustration at a brother or sister ...and we're not yet through breakfast.

Loving until the very end takes fierce determination.

Maybe I should pack this center note in my own lunchbox today:

Jesus will help you do whatever is too hard for you today.

It's a little bit embarrassing to admit when I want to masquerade as a good mom, but somedays enjoying my children in their grumpiness is a little too hard for me to do on my own. When they are storming over who sits where in the minivan, a dark cloud threatens to envelop us all. He is reminding me that I have a choice of whether or not to be sucked into the dark hole of crossed arms, pouty faces, and scowls. He reminds me to call out for help. "God, You love these kids more than I ever could on their best days and their worst moments. Help me train them up when they are being hateful to one another. Help me to respond and not react. Help me not wish I were a hermit in the mountains today."

Can't have enough reminders around the house. Maybe I'll try the phylactery approach next and sharpie some scriptures on our foreheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.