Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Gummy Bears

What to do with a bag of gummy bears?

Estimate how many bears are in the bag.

Count and see how close you were.

Turn the gummy bears into a graph by flavor.

Interpret your findings... Most? Least? Equal?

Divide the bag equally among five siblings.

Ponder what to do with the remainder. Cut them into fractions?

Laugh as your Mom swipes the remainders up in her mouth and walks away from the math lesson.

Save two gummy bears for tomorrow's science experiment. (Soak one in tap water and one in salt water overnight...compare changes.)

 

When I was in a high school math class, one mischievous student licked a gummy bear and threw it up onto the classroom ceiling where it stuck. Instead of getting upset, our young and fun teacher had us all predict how long we thought it would stay there. It lasted the entire year! Her response to that student forever made an impact on how I thought about math and making learning fun in the classroom...or home. Now if I can just learn how not to get upset when kids are being kids, I will have really learned something.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.