This week offered several things near and dear to my heart:
Seeing African children sing and dance at my mother's church. Hearing sweet voices of Ugandans and scribbling zumba notes on the back of an offering envelope. Those ideas turned into the next day's abs and isolations work in my fitness classes. Thankful for inspiration and creativity. Thankful for the love of God that reaches all the way around the world.
Sharing a pew with my family of origin. We are not often together, so this is something that I treasure. I remember snuggling up to my grandmother in church when I was young, half-asleep. I don't remember the sermon from that day, but I count that memory of togetherness as part of my spiritual beginnings.
Discussing life with friends and celebrating a friend's birthday; discussing questions from Jennie Allan's Stuck Bible study with my Sunday school girls. Here are five of those good questions, paraphrased:
Questions:
1. Where are the places God is calling you to make a difference in this life? (Circles of influence?)
2. What are the gifts that God has given you to use for his glory?
3. Who are the people, neighbors, coworkers who need God or time with you?
4. What are the causes that you are passionate about?
5. What are the unique opportunities God has laid in your path?
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do. - Ephesians 2:10
As I look over this list, I am content. My life is not large, but it is full of things that matter to me. I am thankful each time we can help a sponsored child get an education or malaria medicine, or an orphaned child a chance at finding a home. I am passionate about people learning how much God loves them and finding their purposes within His plans for them. I cherish a morning to sit with my mom around her kitchen table and discuss life and funeral plans in the same hour...before a complete diagnosis has even been given. Thankful for both the openness to go to dark places and weep, and the solid confidence of a joyful future. Thankful for the gift of having a little piece of Cameroon still in my heart that makes me want to dance and tap my feet in praise. Thankful to watch from the window as my kids jump on a trampoline and squeal in laughter when one lands on top of the other.
Keep becoming the person God had in mind when He created you.
I believe it was Amy Carmichael who once said "My fire is not large, but it is real, and there might be another who can light her candle at its flame." Shine brightly friends, and point the way.
http://africarenewalministries.org


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.