Earlier in March, our church held a women's conference in which the theme was thriving (not just surviving) wherever you are. Delaine Blackwell spoke to us from John 15 Friday night about the importance of abiding in Christ. Saturday morning, I led a breakout session in which I shared ideas of how I personally develop intimacy with Christ. How I draw near. As Easter draws near and the world is bursting into bloom, I post these ideas in hopes that they might spark an idea in another person of how they can also draw near. Happy abiding!
Building a little ambience
helps me center my attention on God.
My friend, Amy, calls praise "giving God eye contact".
To help lift my eyes up from the piles of laundry or de-lousing products on my medicine cabinet, I create a space where I sit alone with God, even for a few minutes.
I like using as many of the senses as possible. I like wood-wick candles that give a crackling sound (far easier than lighting a fire in the fireplace and not as warm). I also like scented candles. Even linen spray or air freshener can work to freshen up the spot.
It's the same principle as if you were setting a celebratory dinner or romantic mood with your husband. A nice restaurant uses linen table clothes, soft music, and lighting to set a relaxed tone.
Set your intention of giving God your audience.
Play around with this and see what inspires you.
Little details and reminders:
When we built our house, I chose a bathroom mirror that had grapevines carved in the molding. The idea was to help me remember to abide in Christ. (John 15) Each time I wake up in the morning and brush my teeth, I start the day with a reminder that I can do nothing of value apart from Him...and that it's not all up to me. I am just a branch. He is the vine. I just need to stay close to have all the nourishment I need.
Some friends post inspiration artwork on the fridge, on the windowsill above the sink where they do dishes, or even an index card or sticky note with an inspiring verse tucked into the corner of the mirror can lead your thoughts heavenward.
Little moments:
This skinny magazine rack is in the corner of our bathroom. It is not filled with magazines about popular culture. Instead, it serves as a holding area for missionary update letters, books, prayer guides, prayer requests, journals, etc.
If you are going to spend time in there anyway, might as well snatch a little moment of inspiration!
A little breath of outside:
Even though it is still a little chilly for me in the morning, I like being able to crack the porch door open so I hear the birdsong while I talk to Jesus. I wrap up in a cozy blanket until it gets warmer. Sometimes I talk. Sometimes I listen. Sometimes, we just enjoy being together.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.