Today I made a to (not) do list, and instead of running around crazy, I
Listened to the wind chimes sing and soaked up the calm of silence
Watched the blue sky
Felt sunbeams warm my face
Observed five does walk across my lawn
Observed that the daffodils are almost ready to bloom
Wondered if does eat daffodils like they eat pansies and day lilies
Talked with another mom and read the thoughts of Henri Nouwen about Spiritual Direction while I waited on my fifth grader to finish interviewing for middle school.
Smiled when my fifth graded confided that he felt good about the interview. Daydreamed about his future high school interviews, college interviews, and first job interviews.
Drank coffee and shared chocolate croissants with my girls
Gave thanks for Trader Joes and frozen-to-oven pastries that taste as good as those from the Boulangerie
Worked out with girls in the community at a local park. Just a face in the crowd, not the girl behind the microphone. Lovely.
Took my son through the drive-through at Chick-fil-A (even though I wasn't hungry)
Clipped pictures and inspirational words from old magazines for no reason at all other than I like the inspiration they give me to lead an intentional life
Sat up in my bed under a cozy blanket and worked on my Sunday school lesson and my women's ministry talk. This didn't feel like work since I enjoy crafting ideas when I'm not under the wire to produce something. It's more like piddling and tinkering than honing and crafting.
Watched my husband rally our kids for a "forced family fun" bike ride. This is something like the Italian tradition of taking a leisurely walk after consuming too much pasta, except there is an army sergeant barking commands to keep up the pace. Watched my husband return and then jet off to buy the girls a new bike since the old one was deemed "done" after the painfully short ride.
Watched my son play Minecraft and my daughter text friends, and another daughter read a book, and another son watch tv with no compulsion to make them do something productive, just for a little bit. Just for today.
A perfect Saturday. Piano was practiced. Baseball was played. Bodies were fed. Preparations were made, chores and homework were done, but without the crazy sense of hurry and productivity compulsion that so often plague us. A beautiful practice of keeping a Sabbath mindset and enjoying the life we've been given.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.