Friday, January 30, 2015

In gratitude

 
Last evening, at dinner, I asked the kids to make a gratitude list of what they are thankful for. One (smarty pants) kid wrote three items. Two of which were "I am thankful for God, who is infinity, so that's all I need to write." (Italics mine, bold, his)
To encourage further reflection, I broke out my stash of holiday m&m's, and rewarded each item on each kids's list with one m&m. When his brothers and sisters amassed piles of chocolates, his three began to look a little small. So, I dismissed the kids from the table and said, "I am thankful for grace and second chances. Would you like to revise your list?." The second time around, he was much more reflective of the many good gifts God provides for us every day.
In January, we have much to celebrate and be thankful for. Sometimes the big moments jump out at us, but we are trying to focus on the everyday things too - like heat and warm blankets and a roof over our heads.
Our Sunday School class collected blankets for Syrian refugees who are living in tents across the wintry Middle East, and our church collected can goods for the hungry right here in our city. Our daughter attended a birthday party in which the young birthday girl requested shoes for a family in need in lieu of gifts for herself.
We cleaned out (some) closets to have clothes to share that we no longer needed. I have embarrassing hoarding tendencies, so I am working on being more efficient at sending things on, rather than never getting around to the work of de-cluttering and simplicity. It's a slow work in progress.
Laurel surprised us by earning a second place ribbon in behavioral sciences at the school science fair. There has been much deliberation about her high school path, but I think we are getting closer to consensus. He has good plans for her, whatever she chooses.
The family business was surprised to earn the most innovative building product award at an international builders show in Vegas. Go Marwin!
Mary Jayne auditioned for, and was cast in, one of the leading roles in the children's choir musical. This is quantum leap from last year's humble "bread and butterfly #4" role in the community children's theater. We are so thankful that she will have a chance to develop her talents for God's glory.
 
Getting back to the swing of baseball camps and practices. Trying to remember that one kid's teacher is collecting empty water bottles, and another kid needs an alternate audition time for an arts magnet, and one kid needs speech therapy pointers, and one kid needs sodas for a geography fiesta, and one kid needs new sneakers, and one kid needs to learn to spell 50 words, and the monies for snack fees and field trips are due.. Much of my days is just managing minutae and looking for lost phones and library books. Trying to breathe and go with God in the everyday moments of carpool and folding laundry. Finding eternal significance in the collection of small things that is my life.
 

Discovering guava and mango juice boxes. Enjoying introducing the kids to tropical flavors. Passion fruit, anyone? I am beginning to miss Cameroon.
Teasing our family friends, three of whom just got their families a dog for Christmas. Our friend chatter has been dominated by veterinarian talk, so we decided to provide them with updates on our hamsters too...out of the kindness of our hearts. "Oh yeah? Look what our hamster can do!"
Mortification over the massive amount of lost things unearthed when we excavated the deep crevices of our family couches. (This photo does not include popcorn kernels and other bits of roach-food stuck to contraband Halloween or sleepover candy wrappers). I pocketed $11.01 for my efforts in the search and rescue for the still-at-large fit bits. This is a picture of all the life lived on those couches over the last time we cleaned it: Legos, rubber band loom supplies, Barbie shoes, Nerf bullets, guitar pick, flashlight, a rock from someone's collection, crafting beads, puzzle pieces, school supplies, hair supplies, batteries, two remotes, and even the long lost fireplace key (but no fit bits, sniff!)
 

My beautiful Pilates class gathered a monetary gift for me at Christmas. I splurged on a new yoga mat. It was expensive, and not something I would spend the family budget on, but a gift....that's another story! I delight in using it 156 times a year.

For (most of) these things, I am thankful.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.