Thursday, October 30, 2014

Broken Things and Beauty

The grout is chipping (again) in our bathroom.
I caught a rock on the newly constructed highway.
 
My budding musician accidentally sent my ostrich egg flying off the coffee table into little pieces.
 
 
Since I have already lost two ostrich eggs and two emu eggs, we decided to try and Krazy glue this one back together and just turn it (in its new location) so that the fractures don't show as much.
Not so bad, eh?
I was thankful to The Lord to have grown some since eggs 1-4 were broken. No fussing or guilting, just quietly glueing... Side by side fitting the pieces back together. Almost enjoying the challenge.
 
In the midst of hosting and family and church responsibilities and glueing things back together, I find myself needing to go outdoors, even if for only a moment. This morning was brilliantly clear (and a comfortable temperature). I drug (dragged) my children one-by-one out of bed to see the constellations: Ursa Major, Canis Major, Orion, Tarus the bull, the Pleiades, Cassiopeia. We huddled in my oversized bathrobe and then I returned them to slumber (except for the overachiever who was still making modifications to a rough draft.)
 

In the midst of hurry, and deadlines, and sandwiches for dinner, I am thankful for a few moments taken to stargaze or notice the color of the autumn leaves or a flower that has bloomed in my backyard that I have never seen before.

I pray that my children will learn to be still and enjoy God's company in holy moments, too, when they are on their own, and don't have every moment scripted.

 

"If only I may GROW: firmer, simpler -

quieter, warmer"

Dag Hammarskjold, Secretary General of the United Nations, Nobel laureate (1905-1961)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.