Thursday, September 29, 2016

Big and small

I feel assaulted by the bigness of the world's problems while waiting in the lobby for our van to be serviced. Competing newscasts buzz in my ears of train wrecks and wrecked lives. Talk shows with people suing sperm banks for children born with autism. Newspaper headlines of elementary children and a teacher shot on a school playground and a father slain at home by a deranged son... in my own state. I need to pray before I ever pick up a paper, or my phone, or turn on the t.v. The needs of the world are overwhelming, and only One can truly make a difference. I go to the One who can fix this.

I read emails from a friend rushing to Europe to minister to refugee children with PTSD. I wonder how I can contribute to the care of children that ISIS has displaced. I jot a few encouraging Scriptures to a friend in Sunday School that is struggling with high anxiety when a loved one is on her deathbed. I share a blog my friend wrote this morning of her grief journey with a relative who lost her husband to cancer last week. I send a message to another Sunday School member with a struggling marriage and make plans to get together for dinner soon. I meet a friend and hand off a gift card for a military family she knows that is struggling in relocation waiting for their house to be finished enough for them to move in.

My van is ready. I can leave and escape the cry of the world for a moment and drive to the grocery. I listen to an audio recording of Jesus Calling pour over me and wash away the distress. "I am here. I am near. I care."

My world is small, but that is okay. As God brings people to mind, I can pray. I can love. I can give. I can gather. I can't make a meal this time, but I can send a card. I can't pick up and move to the refugee camps right now, but I can pray and support. God will direct me, moment by moment as I stay close to Him. He'll show me how to contribute.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all of your heart."

Ecclesiastes 9:10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.