Monday, June 29, 2015

More England 2015

 

I am amazed by the artistry at every corner. I absolutely love the "olde world"!
Enormous taxes on cars and parking encourage cyclists everywhere
Harry Potter movie sightings in London
An original copy of a King James Bible, with a page turned every day
The Magna Carta celebrates 800 years
I don't know where we will be buried, but I hope my tombstone leans next to Andy's like this one.
Lovely poppies and English countryside
Learning that there is more to Stonehenge than stones
Chaperone humor "Phonehenge" - confiscating the kids electronics at dinner and forcing them to engage in actual conversation with the person sitting next to them at the table.
We give warnings, the Brits give "polite notice"
Vintage architecture in Stratford-Upon-Avon and vintage costumes
Home and gardens of Anne Hathaway (Shakespeare's wife)
Roman Britannia, town of Bath
People often ask what I enjoyed the most about our trip. There is not one particular sight that I love more than others. It is more the sense of time and place that I love - simply being there. I love admiring the architectural details at every corner.
I love listening to street musicians on instruments I have never heard of.
I love looking at statutes and trying to remember history.
I love sampling "fish and chips" and local cuisine favorites.
I love watching my daughter see England for the first time, and being able to share those memories and loves with her.
I love quaint window displays of shoppes, although I don't especially love shopping.
I'm crazy about interesting doors and thankful that my husband allowed us to install a rounded European-style door when we built our home.
I love that my daughter was able to share this trip with good friends.
Experiencing a light display at a cathedral- an interactive contemplative approach to worship
I love trying out new coffee shops and treats (good thing we walked 44 miles and climbed 141 flights of stairs that week according to FitBit)
I'm also crazy about illuminated manuscripts and would love to own a print of a psalm or portion of scripture one day.
I'm not sure what the hand position on this icon signifies. It looks kind of like Jesus doing yoga.
Great cathedrals built for a great God!
My favorite stained glass window of Mary loving Jesus
I hope to grow a garden one day. The 105 degree summer days and ravenous deer are not encouraging my efforts back home.
I love this street sign
Black current - my favorite, and hard to find here

Phoenix- Resurrection symbol on St. Paul's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.